Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Little Quilt Swap - Sent and Received

I've been doing a lot of swapping through various groups on flickr lately.  Mainly quilt blocks (like the Nubees, the 3x6 bee and the 4x5 bee)...but I've ventured into deeper waters and just completed my first round in the Little Quilt Swap.  And, while I have a fab time with my block swaps (I've been meeting the greatest people!), I absolutely fell in love with the Little Quilt Swap.  I think it's because I got a finished project out of the deal...nothing that might end up in my "ongoing projects" bin, where it could sit indefinitely. 

This swap is so fun because everyone submits pictures of their mini quilt entries to the hostess and she posts them so no one knows who made which mini.  Then we all vote and Jan (our hostess with the mostess!) tallies them all up and lets us know where to send our quilt.  So, you don't know which quilt you get until it gets to your mailbox!  How fun is that?

This was my entry:


I based it off the Holiday Ribbons Block I found on Ryan Walsh's blog.  I'm really proud of this mini.  It's actually the first "real" quilt I've made.  It's only 19" x 19", but it's the first quilt I've made from beginning to end.  And let me tell you, it feels so good to finish a project!  I've been working on a large quilt since June, and while I love it and can't wait to finish, it's so nice to have a quick-ish project to do and see through to the end.  Anyway...

It was hard to send this off.  I love how it turned out...just like I pictured it in my head...that's a good thing!  But, when I found out I was sending it to this gal, it made sending it off a little easier.  I've been reading her blog for a while and think she's just so cute and talented.  And, I just so happened to choose her mini quilt as my favorite!  (I didn't know it was hers when I voted...I found out a few days later...right before I sent off my mini to her).  Though I was really crossing my fingers for Jess's mini, I didn't figure we'd actually swap with each other.  But, to my surprise, lookie what came in the mail the other day:


THE quilt...Jess's quilt!  Isn't it just so happy and lovely?  I think so!  I think I squealed when I opened my mailbox and saw the return address.  Talk about making my day!

This mini now has a prime spot in my sewing/laundry room.  I'm trying to brighten the room up since it's down in the basement - this mini sure does the trick!  I'm just waiting on a fabric order or two before I start my entry for the Christmas edition of the Little Quilt Swap - fun!

2 comments:

  1. your mini quilt is really cute. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they're both lovely! I had not seen that kind of zigzag before. Great job and congrats on your first quilt.

    Also, I'm sharing your picture of your asterisk blocks at Stitched in Color today, with a link to your blog. Let me know if you'd rather I didn't and I'll take it right down. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete