Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Woven Star Ornaments

Thank you to everyone who commented and said they loved my projects from Rachel's Holiday Challenge...I'm flattered that y'all like what I stitched up!

Several of you wondered how I made the woven star ornaments...as in, could I write a tutorial?  First let me say that these stars are an old, traditional design, possibly originating in Germany and/or Scandinavia (my research couldn't pinpoint an exact origin...see?  They're so old that no one even knows where they came from!).  I've seen them referred to as Finnish Stars, Swedish Stars, Scandinavian Stars, or even simply woven stars or window stars.  What I'm saying is I didn't make it up - people have been making these (and MANY variations on these) for a long, long time!


Well, I do have a tutorial post in the works for another day, but there are already at least a few great woven star tutorials in blogland.  So, how about I share some links with you?

How to Make a Star by Homemade Gifts Made Easy

Finnish Star by A Cherry on Top

Make a Woven Star by House Revivals (if you search Amanda's blog she has posted several variations, too!)

Woven Star Tree Topper by Two Girls Being Crafty (a super-sized version!)

Now, all of these tutorials show you how to make your ornaments with paper.  Why don't I at least share how I made mine with fabric!?  It's super-easy.  You just need two 6.5" squares of fabric (size doesn't have to be exact, but they need to be at least 6") and one 6.5" square of Heat n' Bond or other fusible interfacing.  You can use 2 squares of the same fabric (like my star on the right) or 2 different fabrics (like my star on the left).

Fuse your fabrics together with the fusible interfacing to make "2 sided fabric" and trim your square to 6"x 6".  Then, use your rotary cutter and ruler to slice the square into twelve 1/2" x 6" strips.  Then, just follow the directions in one of the tutorials.  I told you this was easy!

Here's a star I made last year using Kate Spain's Flurry fabrics:


I used Diamond Glaze to glue the strips together, but I'm sure you could use any fabric glue...I just happened to have it on hand and it's super-strong and dries pretty quickly (and did I mention I already had it on hand?).  And, I used teeny tiny clothspins to hold the ends together while the glue dried.  Most anything would work - just make sure whatever you use isn't TOO "grabby" (like Wonder Clips) or it might leave dents in your fabric (ask me how I know).

The only other thing I should mention is if you use 2 different fabrics, put the fabric that you want on the OUTSIDE of your ornament facing UP during assembly.  Oh, and if you change up the length and/or width of your strips you can make your stars any size you want.

This is a really fun project that you can certainly embellish and fancy-up in a million ways.  It's quick, too...and sometimes you just need a quick Finnish (haha!), right?

Let me know if you make one - I'd love to see it!

6 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that I took this tutorial from last year off my blog--where I showed how to do this with fabric, because the woman who owns the copyright to "Finnish Star" got in touch with me. She does not like it when people use her star and call it Finnish Star because she apparently owns the copyright to the term for the star. FYI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your stars are gorgeous. Just wondering...is the Heat N Bond a two sided fusible?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the comment. Since you are a "no reply" commenter I'll answer your question here. Yes, Heat N Bond is a two-sided fusible interfacing. It's great for applique and works fab for the woven stars. You just iron the "bumpy" side of the Heat N Bond to the wrong side of one of your fabrics. There is a paper layer that you peel off the other side and then you iron that side to your other fabric. So simple! You can usually find it w/ other interfacings on the bolt. Have fun if you make some of these!

      Delete
  2. Yours are beautiful! I thought I'd seen something similar to this over on Amy's blog, and now I know why I couldn't find it earlier when looking for it over there. I say since it is a traditional design, delete the term "Finnish Star" from your blog post. It obviously doesn't belong to her even though she's claiming it as her own. THIS is what I hate about copyright. AND FYI, she wouldn't have a leg to stand on if she took someone to court because it can easily be demonstrated that A) the design predates her, B) there are so many instances of others using the same technique that she doesn't really "own" the design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Beezus. I just didn't want to deal with any conflict so I took it off my blog.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the tutorial!! I made 6 today and posted them on IG under Crandons. I think a lot of peeps will be visiting your blog! Super fun project!

    ReplyDelete